Braised Hakurei Turnips
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
- 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 11/2 pounds small Hakurei turnips, peeled and cleaned
- 3 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock, heated
- 2 bay leaves
- Sea salt, to taste
- 3 oz. unsalted butter, room temperature
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
Sweat the shallots in one tablespoon olive oil in heavy-bottomed pot over low heat. Add turnips and stir. Add enough hot chicken stock to just cover turnips. Add bay leaves. Season lightly with salt. Bring to a simmer. Cut parchment paper to fit over turnips, cover with parchment, and gently simmer on very low heat for 20 to 30 minutes or until tender when pierced with knife tip.
Remove turnips and put them on serving platter. Bring stock in pan to a boil. Whisk in butter slowly until it emulsifies with stock. Ladle over turnips to glaze. Drizzle with remaining olive oil. Garnish with chopped flat-leaf parsley, if desired.