Job Opportunity: Sales Executive
GulfStream Communications, publishers of WNC magazine, is seeking a sales executive based in the Asheville, North Carolina, area to represent all GulfStream titles, including WNC , Charleston, Grand Strand, Charleston Weddings magazines, and High Country Wedding Guide, as well as our two popular websites, Ashvegas.com and AshevilleGrit.com.
If you are a bright, energetic, motivated team player with a love for advertising sales and at least two years of media sales experience, please submit your resumé and cover letter to Katie Hild, Director of Advertising (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Explore the ins and outs of working on the editorial staff of a nationally recognized regional magazine that delves into life in the South Carolina Lowcountry. During their time here, editorial interns gain valuable experience, insight, and understanding as they learn what is required to produce an award-winning monthly magazine and associated digital properties.
Charleston magazine is currently seeking interns for the fall quarter. Ideal candidates will have a refined knowledge and masterful use of the English language as well as proficiency working in Word. A working knowledge of InDesign is also desirable. Interested candidates should contact Catherine Lowe (email@example.com) and submit a cover letter, résumé, and three writing samples. High school students will not be considered.
EDITORIAL GRAPHIC DESIGN INTERNSHIP
- We publish 5 different magazines - you get to be a part of all of them
- Learn the process of making a magazine by working directly with the creative team
- Help design editorial pages of a magazine with our creative director and graphic designers overseeing & guiding you
- Polish up your researching skills
- Converting photographs from RAW, re-touching, color-correcting etc.
- Assist with the production of photo-shoots
- Network while you start your professional career
- Take advantage of all the opportunities to help at events that we sponsor
- Must have a great attitude & good work ethic
- To be comfortable in a fast pace environment with tight deadlines
- Must be proficient in Photoshop & InDesign
EDITORIAL PHOTOGRAPHY INTERNSHIP
- Depending on your strengths, have upwards of 20+ images in each issue
- Meet hundreds of people on assignment
- Go on Studio, portrait, in-house, and location shoots
- Gain knowledge from other professional photographers by assisting at photo shoots
- Learn the process from camera-to-layout by working directly with the art director and graphic designers as a team
- Convert from RAW format
- Complete at least 20 hours a week, for at least 3 months
(Minimum hours are necessary to stay involved in a constantly changing atmosphere)
*Ideal candidates own digital SLR equipment and have a good understanding of digital photography and lighting. Must submit digital portfolio samples.
Style interns will learn the ins and outs of putting together monthly and quarterly publications. In addition to learning styling techniques and the requirements for producing photo shoots, interns will also gain experience in both the fashion and publishing industries.
Style internship duties include:
- Researching trends and fashion news
- Assisting with locating props and products for various shoots as needed
- Providing scouting shots and scouting lists
- Organizing and completing Google slideshows with scouting finds and trend research
- Picking up and returning merchandise for photo shoots
- Organizing and completing photo shot lists
- Assisting on photo shoots and fashion shoots
- Contacting local and national retailers for use of merchandise and/or high-resolution images
- Shipping and receiving merchandise for shoots
- Updating local and national style department database
- Corresponding with local designers and retailers
- Assisting with additional editorial needs upon request
The Style internship is an unpaid internship with a commitment of 16 to 20 hours a week for a three to four month period. Interested applicants should send cover letters and résumés to Quinn Sherman at Quinn@charlestonmag.com
For those interested in the technical aspects of publishing and what goes on behind the scenes, Gulfstream offers a unique experience to learn the basics of web design development as well as entry-level information technology in a fast-paced environment. Candidates are required to have proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite web products. Experience with Quark, InDesign, and Dreamweaver is preferred. Familiarity with mac and windows environments as well as basic IT skills will be helpful. Please send resumes and inquiries to Charleston Magazine
ADVERTISING DESIGN INTERNSHIP
The advertising design department at Charleston Magazine is seeking a design intern to work directly with the advertising art director in creating high-end advertisements for some of the areas most upscale clients. You will be designing creative for Gulfstream's family of publications including: Charleston Magazine, Charleston Weddings, Grand Strand, WNC (Western North Carolina) and House Calls. Opportunities include, but are not limited to: assisting with photo retouching/cloning, color correction, converting RAW images, styling photo shoots, clipping, scanning, placing advertising, trouble shooting issues and postcripting. Great opportunity for regional and national recognition of your work. Must have a great positive attitude, the desire to be in a fast-paced design environment and the drive to learn and improve your skills. Basic knowledge of the following are required: Adobe CS3 (flash/dreamweaver not required), Acrobat Distiller, Proficiency with Microsoft Office. Please send resumes and inquiries to Brandis Woods (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Gulfstream Communications is offering a unique internship for those interested in the administrative side of producing an award winning publication. Duties would include assisting with accounting, circulation, and general office management. The ideal candidate should be organized, willing to work in a fast-paced environment and have working knowledge of Excel. Please send resumes and inquiries to Accounting@charlestonmag.com.