Gulfstream Communications is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Position: Advertising Sales Executive
GulfStream Communications, the award-winning publisher of Charleston, Charleston Weddings, Grand Strand, and WNC magazines, as well as the owner and producer of Charleston Fashion Week, and numerous websites, digital and social media initiatives, is seeking an Advertising Sales Executive in its Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina based office with the following qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree, preferable in digital marketing, public relations, or communications
• Minimum two-year sales experience in sales, preferably in a related field.
• Excellent organizational and planning skills. Ability to self-manage and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Self-starter, goal-oriented, strategic thinker, and consummate team player
• Absolute ability to work under high-pressure environment, meet deadlines, close sales, and multi-task
Responsibilities will include:
• Scout and identify prospective customers with advertising needs for Gulfstream products, including magazines, digital programs, and social media
• Conduct client survey and business checks to ascertain advertising history, preference and needs
• Contact clients via telephone calls, arranged meetings, and emails to discuss the capability of their service in satisfying customer needs
• Prepare and offer proposals to clients indicating their interest in providing advertising services. Plan and deliver sales pitches to potential customers
• Maintain good working relationship with new and existing customers to establish client base
• Offer expert recommendation and advice to customers on suitable advertising service
• Conduct price negotiations with clients on behalf of/within guidelines of Gulfstream
• Close sales deals, secure contract approval, and ensure the processing of all essential documentation
• Execute agreed advertising programs with follow-up/results analysis
• Stay up-to-date with current developments in advertising sales. Stay up to speed on latest digital & social media products and market
• Guaranteed base salary of $2,000 per month for first year, plus commission based on sales results and team performance bonus.
• Health benefits through SC BCBS after three-month trial
• Send resume with cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Job Opportunity: Graphic Designer
Gulfstream Communications, award winning publisher of Charleston magazine, is looking for a passionate & talented graphic designer with at least 1-3 years of design experience to join our team. The ideal highly-organized candidate will work closely with the art director and other designers in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment. Experience in print publishing and digital is a plus. Benefits included. If interested, please send a resume, portfolio, and salary history to: Melinda Monk, art director, firstname.lastname@example.org.
BFA or related art/design degree
-Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
-Digital: Some experience with website design, video, and social media is a plus.
PRINT DESIGN (60%)
-Work with the art director and other designers to help with the design of page layouts for monthly Charleston magazine
-Coordinate photoshoots and give appropriate art direction to photographers based on article content
-Attend photo shoots
-Retouch, clip, and convert high resolution images for print
-Design print house ads to promote our various digital platforms, marketing subscription campaigns, etc.
-Assist in the production of sister publications Charleston Weddings, GrandStrand, WNC, High Country Wedding Guide, Asheville Wedding Guide, and House Calls magazines
-Work closely with the design and photo interns. Train and hand out tasks, oversee, and aid in the production of Charleston magazine and occasionally our other titles.
DIGITAL DESIGN (20%)
-Design web graphics each month to promote print magazine articles on our website homepage
-Design e-mail graphics each week to promote print magazine articles via our e-newsletter
-Design ads and graphics for Charleston magazine for partnered sponsorships and campaigns
-Prepare feature article images and artwork for our website micro sites
-Prep graphics each month for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
MARKETING DESIGN: (20%)
-Create visual content for marketing campaigns. ie: print, website, e-mail, and social media, etc.
-Design ads and graphics for Charleston magazine for partnered sponsorships
-Design miscellaneous visual collateral & content for Charleston magazine for various departments as requested, for example, our yearly media kit
Job Opportunity: Sales Executive
GulfStream Communications, publishers of WNC magazine, is seeking a sales executive based in the Asheville, North Carolina, area to represent all GulfStream titles, including WNC, Charleston, Grand Strand, and Charleston Weddings magazines, and High Country Wedding Guide, as well as two popular websites, Ashvegas.com and AshevilleGrit.com.
If you are a bright, energetic, motivated team player with a love for advertising sales and at least two years of media sales experience, please submit your resumé and cover letter to Mike Granger, Director of Advertising (email@example.com)
EDITORIAL INTERNSHIP: Charleston magazine
Explore the ins and outs of print and digital magazine publishing with this in-depth, hands-on opportunity to learn what is required to produce an award-winning monthly publication and its associated digital properties. During their time here, editorial interns will work closely with editorial staff, gaining invaluable insight and knowledge integral for career-track positions. Weekly assignments help hone skills such as copyediting, fact-checking, proofing, reporting, researching, and transcribing for stories that explore and celebrate Lowcountry life and culture.
Interested candidates should contact Shelley Young (firstname.lastname@example.org) and submit a cover letter, résumé, and three writing samples (each sample must not exceed 1,000 words). High school students will not be considered. The deadline to apply for a fall 2021 internship is July 29.
EDITORIAL GRAPHIC DESIGN INTERNSHIP
- We publish 5 different magazines - you get to be a part of all of them
- Learn the process of making a magazine by working directly with the creative team
- Help design editorial pages of a magazine with our creative director and graphic designers overseeing & guiding you
- Polish up your researching skills
- Converting photographs from RAW, re-touching, color-correcting etc.
- Assist with the production of photo-shoots
- Network while you start your professional career
- Take advantage of all the opportunities to help at events that we sponsor
- Must have a great attitude & good work ethic
- To be comfortable in a fast pace environment with tight deadlines
- Must be proficient in Photoshop & InDesign
EDITORIAL PHOTOGRAPHY INTERNSHIP
- Depending on your strengths, have upwards of 20+ images in each issue
- Meet hundreds of people on assignment
- Go on Studio, portrait, in-house, and location shoots
- Gain knowledge from other professional photographers by assisting at photo shoots
- Learn the process from camera-to-layout by working directly with the art director and graphic designers as a team
- Convert from RAW format
- Complete at least 20 hours a week, for at least 3 months
(Minimum hours are necessary to stay involved in a constantly changing atmosphere)
*Ideal candidates own digital SLR equipment and have a good understanding of digital photography and lighting. Must submit digital portfolio samples.
Charleston magazine style interns will learn the ins and outs of putting together monthly and quarterly publications. In addition to learning styling techniques and the requirements for producing photo shoots, interns will also gain experience in both the fashion and publishing industries. Applications for the summer internship are closed. The deadline to apply for the fall 2021 internship is July 8.
Style internship duties include:
- Researching trends and fashion news
- Organizing and completing Google slideshows with scouting finds and trend research
- Picking up and returning merchandise
- Organizing and completing photo shot lists
- Assisting on photo shoots
- Contacting local and national retailers for use of merchandise and/or high-resolution images
- Shipping and receiving merchandise
- Updating local and national style department database
- Corresponding with local designers and retailers
- Assisting with additional editorial needs upon request
ADVERTISING DESIGN INTERNSHIP
The advertising design department at Gulfstream Communications is seeking a design intern to work directly with the advertising art director in creating high-end advertisements for some of the areas most upscale clients. You will be designing creative for Gulfstream’s family of publications including: Charleston, Charleston Weddings, Grand Strand, WNC (Western North Carolina), and House Calls magazines. Opportunities include, but are not limited to: assisting with photo retouching/cloning, color correction, converting RAW images, styling photo shoots, clipping, scanning, placing advertising, trouble shooting issues, and postcripting. Great opportunity for regional and national recognition of your work. Must have a great positive attitude, the desire to be in a fast-paced design environment, and the drive to learn and improve your skills. Basic knowledge of the following are required: Adobe CS3 (flash/dreamweaver not required), Acrobat Distiller, Proficiency with Microsoft Office. Please send resumes and inquiries to Kelly Creasy (email@example.com).
Are you interested in a career in marketing or public relations? Gulfstream Communications, publisher of Charleston, Charleston Weddings, Grand Strand, and House Calls magazines, offers internships in the fast-paced, exciting world of magazine publishing. Learn what it takes to market our award-winning publications in local, regional, and national markets. You will gain experience in circulation, marketing, event planning, and public relations and see how the departments work together to get our message across to potential readers. Please send resumes and inquiries to Allie Siciliano at firstname.lastname@example.org.