The circa-1725 Strawberry Chapel-of-Ease in Berkeley County
St. James-Santee (Brick Church at Wambaw)
St. James-Santee: In April 1923, Charleston Museum director Laura Bragg arranged a tour of the historic site for participants in the American Association of Museums conference held downtown that year.
Built in 1890 of black cypress shingles, St. James’ Episcopal Church was originally the chapel-of-ease for the Brick Church at Wambaw and served Santee River planters who summered in McClellanville. In 1918, the roles reversed when the Brick Church was declared inactive and the chapel-of-ease became the parish’s main house of worship. Today, it remains an Episcopal church with regular Sunday services.
Old St. Andrew's Parish Church, West Ashley
Old St. Andrew's: The nomination for the National Register of Historic Places notes, “The use of cast and wrought iron in the balustrade of the altar rail and pulpit is unique.”
A View of the Church in Saint Andrew’s Parish (watercolor on paper, circa 1800) by Charles Fraser; courtesy of Gibbes Museum of Art
Reverend John Grimke Drayton (1816-1891), of Old St. Andrew's, led a dual life as both wealthy planter at Magnolia-on-the-Ashley and parish priest. He is credited with establishing the plantation’s famous gardens in 1843 to create an “earthly paradise in which my dear Julia [his wife] may forever forget Philadelphia and her desire to return there.”
St. James' Parish Church, Goose Creek
St. James' Goose Creek: A wooden canopy known as the “sounding board” tops the pulpit to help project the minister’s voice.
St. James' Goose Creek: Among the interior wall decorations is the funerary hatchment with the coat of arms of the Izard family. Following the English custom, after the head of a family was buried the panel was hung in the church.
Strawberry Chapel-of-Ease, Berkeley County
Strawberry Chapel: The letters of the arced inscription over the altar were formed with hundreds of small pine cones.
Biggin Church Ruins, St. John’s Parish
The property near Moncks Corner was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1977: “Notable architectural details which remain include a Gibbs surround at the main portal, quoins at the corner, radiating voussoirs over the windows, and a rounded water table.”
St. Thomas Parish Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
St. Thomas: “The unusual vestry building features a hipped roof on one end and chimney on the other, giving the appearance of a half-completed structure.”
Pompion Hill Chapel-of-Ease, Berkeley County
Christ Church near Snee Farm was established as the main house of worship for the parish East of the Cooper River.
St. Andrew’s in the Old Village served as the chapel-of-ease for Christ Church congregants who lived or summered near the harbor.
Pon Pon Chapel-of-Ease: Crumbling walls, part of a cistern, and a churchyard are all that remain of this chapel off Parkers Ferry Road, formerly a busy stagecoach road between Charleston and Savannah.
Pon Pon Chapel: The Church in Saint Bartholomew’s Parish (watercolor and ink, 1796) by Charles Fraser; courtesy of Gibbes Museum of Art
Trinity Episcopal Church, Edisto Island: The cross on the steeple was given by Eldon D. Hunter in honor of his mother, Virginia Griffen Hunter (1869-1935).
Grace Chapel (The Church of the Holy Cross), Sullivan’s Island
Grace Episcopal Chapel, Rockville