Built in the 1730s, the Seegers’ home is one of the oldest single houses on the peninsula. Its green spaces were originally conceived by noted garden designer Loutrel Briggs in 1951 and 1961.
Briggs’s initial vision of a French parterre garden and adjacent horseshoe-shaped courtyard remains intact. Monica Seeger and landscape architect Sheila Wertimer refreshed the space in 2010, removing overgrown vegetation and swapping in more flowering plants, such as azaleas, agapanthus, and hydrangeas.
From the first-floor piazza, the eye is drawn down the center path of the parterre garden into the rear courtyard. Like much of Monica’s statuary, the figure of Pan (the Greek god of nature and shepherds) came from her garden in California.
Hilton Head artist Joe Doolan painted the foyer with a mural reminiscent of the Lowcountry landscape.
At one point, the original cypress paneling in this room was hidden under more than 20 layers of paint; upon moving in, the Seegers hired artisans to continue the previous owner’s restoration of the wood.
The family room and breakfast area are within what was once a separate kitchen house.
A previous owner had the rear building connected to the main structure via a hyphen.
The Seegers worked with local architect Mark Maresca to enlarge the kitchen and integrate the space with the adjoining garden.
A previous owner filled in this fountain, which anchors the rear courtyard. Monica had it restored and rebuilt, returning the space’s signature water feature.
A gate and an arbor covered in star jasmine lead the way to this space.
“Our home and garden have become a vehicle to getting involved in our community—to making new friends and creating new adventures.”— Monica Seeger
Built in the 1730s, the Seegers’ home is one of the oldest single houses on the peninsula