Bowens Island, photo by Peter Frank Edwards
John Sanka fried up shrimp and more at the restaurant for decades; photograph by Cramer Gallimore
Dedicated oyster cook Henry Gilliard stoked fires and roasted clusters in the oyster room from 1995 to 2011; photograph by Cramer Gallimore
Thousands of regulars left their mark on the old building’s interior; photograph by Cramer Gallimore
The James Island oyster shack, circa 2006; photograph by Jim Brueckner
A fire destroyed the place in 2006, the same year that the James Beard “American Classic” award was bestowed upon the Lowcountry institution; photograph by Cramer Gallimore
Rebuilt and better than ever, Bowens Island Restaurant continues to serve up great beer, seafood, and Intracoastal views; photograph by Peter Frank Edwards
photograph by Peter Frank Edwards
The Cavallaro’s original Art Deco façade on Savannah Highway after the restaurant closed post-Hurricane Hugo
The orchestra at The Cavallaro
Among the restaurant’s offerings were souvenir photos.
Sheet music from the West Ashley hot spot’s heyday
The Cavallaro menu
After attending The Citadel, Melvin Bessinger, son of Holly Hill barbecue king “Big Joe” Bessinger, created Piggy Park Drive-In, a popular barbecue joint on upper Rutledge Avenue
A second location (now Bessinger’s) was opened on Savannah Highway.
Longtime employee James Young
Celia’s Porta Via at 49 Archdale Street
Celia Cerasoli with her parents, Arnold and Tina, who inspired her recipes and helped open the restaurant.
The dining room was decorated with photos of her family.
Patrons always had a ball, especially during Carnevale-themed dinners.
Celia’s ethereal, 25-layer lasagna
Part-deli, part gourmet foods store, part restaurant: Harold’s Cabin on Wentworth Street in 1954
A table set for a midday dinner in the balcony restaurant
Delicacies imported from around the world
The downstairs deli
Everett’s Restaurant on the west end of Cannon Street in the 1950s
Everett’s chef William Deas created she-crab soup while cooking for Mayor Goodwyn Rhett.
Touted as Charleston’s only waterfront hotel, the Fort Sumter Hotel’s Flag Room featured entrées such as shrimp in a basket served amidst unparalleled water views.
Looking down the Battery towards the Fort Sumter Hotel, circa 1950
The Goodie House sign
Brothers C.M. and Cliff Williams in the Goodie House kitchen in the 1970s
The Goodie House menu
The Calhoun Street institution after its closure in 1997
The Colony House
Menus from the old school restaurant circa 1960s, before new owners Franz Meier, Chris Weihs, and Harry Waddington “would turn haute cuisine in Charleston on its head.”
Henry's on the Market
Postcards touted Henry’s famous cuisine.
A promotional map of the city’s sites and institutions features a prominent arrow pointing to the legendary Charleston eatery, located on Market Street.
Postcard from Henry's
Founder Henry Hasselmeyer tailored the menu to offer specific Lowcountry fare.
Miss Kitty Proctor dishing up Southern eats with a smile in the 1970s alongside Maddie Heneghen
Kitty’s “Coffee Club” circa 1980, its members gathered every morning at 9:15, Miss Kitty is standing on the left.
Miss Kitty with Martha Grant in the 1990s; Grant later acquired Miss Kitty’s and paid homage to its 40-year-old heritage by renaming it “Kitty’s Diner.”
The Atlantic House on Folly Beach
The Atlantic House menu
Dining in the mid-1980s, before Hurricane Hugo claimed the “Restaurant Above the Surf” for the sea
Atlantic House Restaurant Crab Dip
LaBrasca Pizzeria & Spaghetti House
George LaBrasca was the first to introduce pizza to Charleston.
Numerous proposals and first dates took place on the Italian side’s balcony
Elaine Nolan, one of the LaBrasca “Pizza Queens;”
The LaBrasca family (with Effie at left and George Sr., at right) having dinner at the restaurant in the 1950s
Many family members and friends were musically inclined, and there were get-togethers every couple of weeks.
George LaBrasca takes wife Effie for a twirl.
The musical quintet The Carolinians, with Leonard LaBrasca at left
Marianne at 219 Meeting Street in the late ’70s; it was the beginning if the city’s European culinary “revolution.”
Perdita's on Exchange Street
10 Exchange Street, circa 1933
The interior of the thoroughly French Philippe Million Taverne Historique at 2 Unity Alley (today’s McCrady’s Tavern)
Chef-owner José de Anacleto in the dining room with his wife, Su-Chen; the couple resides in Albertville, France, where they own and operate Hôtel Restaurant Million.
The original Robertson’s Cafeteria at 11 Broad Street.
Robertson’s was the next best thing to eating at home, except for the macaroni and cheese, which was better.
At Robert’s of Charleston, “Singing Chef” Robert Dickson combined two of his considerable talents: operatic singing and haute cuisine.
Robert’s of Charleston was a family affair, with Dickson’s wife, Pam, managing the front of house, waiting tables, and even handwriting the early menus (i.e., before kids).
Pam and Robert Dickson in the dining room of their Rainbow Market location
Robert’s received glowing press from publications such as The State—“Dining at Robert’s is a grand affair”—and Women’s Wear Daily—“A must for an evening of memorable dining.”