The ship escorted convoys through waters surrounding the Solomon Islands, New Guinea, and the Philippines for four years
Rows of uniformed officers and sailors stand at attention during the christening of the USS Manning in this image taken on October 1, 1943. Named in honor of an ordnanceman killed in action during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, the Buckley-class destroyer was one of 245 vessels built at the Charleston Naval Shipyard from 1901 until its closure in 1996. Manning sailed for Pearl Harbor on December 12, 1943. For four years, it escorted convoys through waters surrounding the Solomon Islands, New Guinea, and the Philippines until being decommissioned in San Diego on January 15, 1947. The vessel, which received four battle stars for its World War II service, was declared unfit for use in 1968 and sold for scrap to the National Metal & Steel Company the following year.