Floating down the Edisto is a tried-and-true method for beating the summer heat, and lucky for Charlestonians, the river is only 35 miles from downtown. Get some data and outfitter details on this scenic waterway
- Stretching for 250 miles, the Edisto is the longest free-flowing blackwater river in North America.
- The river flows through 12 counties before emptying into the Atlantic Ocean.
- Take a guided or self-guided kayak tour. Four and eight hour trips are available in single and tandem kayaks edistoriveradventures.com
- Rather relax? For $20, Edisto River Adventures outfits floaters with a durable tube, perfect for lounging. A small upgrade fee gives you the option of seats with a backrest, covered bottom, or a cup holder. Cheers!
- Paddle the Edisto then stay in one of Carolina Heritage Outfitters' treehouses, which are a half-way stop on a 21-mile canoe trip. canoesc.com
- With the current a 1 to 2 mph, it takes 2 to 3 hours to complet this two-mile tubing journey with Edisto River Adventures. But, higher water levels can up the speed to 3 mph.