Beauty: Tendril Tips
Pointers for a flawless â€™do when you say â€śI doâ€ť
â€śYou may love your usual hair stylist, but be-cause your wedding day isÂnâ€™t just any occasion, you should consider goiÂng to someone who specializes in bridal hair,â€ť suggests Amy Johnson of Stella Nova. â€śIf youâ€™re unsure of where to look, event planners and photographers usually know the pros.â€ť An expert herself, Johnson offÂers her tips on topics from selÂeÂcting a stylist to doing your own â€™do:
- When choosing a stylist, ask to see a portfolio and a contract; treat your hair appointments as you would any other aspect of your weddingâ€”seriously.
- Arrange a consultation with a stylist at least six months in advance, and bring along your veil and a photo of your dress to give a sense of your overall look.
- Clip photos of hair styles you love; often stylists can combine different elements to create one hairstyle that is uniquely you.
- Schedule a trial run to ensure that you love your locks when you say â€śI do.â€ť (Coincide the run-through with your portrait day for flawless pictures and a night out with your fiancĂ©â€”no need to waste a good â€™do!)
Hair Dos and Donâ€™ts
- Do let your locks reflect the feel of your wedding. A garden or beach ceremony may call for a looser style, while an evening event is suited for a more formal updo.
- Donâ€™t arrange for a cut or color treatment the day of your wedding. Schedule these appointments two weeks ahead of time for optimum results.
- Do increase your intake of water from the moment he drops to one knee. This will ensure shiny and healthy tresses.
- Whatever you do, donâ€™t crash diet! Many all-protein diets will often turn your hair brittle or cause it to fall out.
Do It Yourself
If youâ€™re traveling to your destination wedding or are on a budget, many stylists will teach you how to do your own hair for a small fee. Here are a few tips:
- Shampoo your hair the day before your nuptials, not the day of. Squeaky clean hair is much harder to manage.
- On the day of your wedding, spray your tresses with hairspray, then hot roll them for 10 minutes to add body.
- Pull your hair back in a low ponytail and pin pieces up with bobby pins.
- Have a hot curling iron on hand to bring your ends some oomph!
Product Tips & Suggestions:
- Give your hair a deep treatment every six weeks using Kerastase-Aqua Oleum; $25
- Take-home deep treatments are available using Kerastase Masquintense; $36
- Ken PavĂ©s Flawless Red Carpet Firm Hold Repairing Styling Mousse is great for blowing hair straight; $5.99
- Bumble & Bumble Classic Hair Spray is the best for keeping wedding â€™dos in place; $17.50
- John Friedaâ€™s Frizz-Ease Glossing Mist finishes hair with a shiny gloss; $3.99
- Apply Bumble & Bumble Styling Lotion to damp hair to volumize and thicken; $20.50
- Neutrogenaâ€™s Triple Moisture is a deep-recovery hair mask for weekly use; $6.99