Beauty: Lip Service
Tips on the achieving the most kissable lips.
â€śYou may now kiss the bride.â€ť These words have sounded in countless womenâ€™s wedding-day dreams. But now that the moment at the altar is fast approaching, they may have become something of a nightmare! Have no fear: Makeup artist Andrew Peterson of Trish McEvoy at Charlestonâ€™s Saks Fifth Avenue has some great tips for flawlessly kissable lips.
- Begin with a smooth, hydrated surface. â€śTwo nights prior, dip a clean mascara wand into your facial moisturizer and gently scrub your lips, removing any dry or flaky skin,â€ť says Andrew.
- After washing, apply a lip moisturizer containing shea butter and vitamin E. â€śThis ensures that when you wake on the morning of your big day, your lips will be supple and prepped for the perfect pout,â€ť he suggests.
- Before lining your lips, start by adding a neutral primer to and around the lips. â€śAlways use a liner that matches the shade of your lips so that, as the color wears off, you arenâ€™t left with a line,â€ť Andrew advises. Follow the natural shape of your lips, then color in the lines completely.
- Take a lip brush and fill in your lips with your chosen color. Make sure to press a tissue over the lips, then reapply the color and blot any excess once again.
- Andrewâ€™s favorite part of the process entails revisiting your lips with liner to define and shape them perfectly. â€śFocus on the corners of the mouth and the Cupidâ€™s bow of the upper lip for a sexier look,â€ť he says. â€śAnd spice it up with a touch of shimmer gloss on the center of your lower lip.â€ť
- For the finale, trace the edges of your lined lips with a powder-dipped brush. â€śThis keeps lipstick from bleeding, covers any mistakes, and frames the shape of your perfect lips.â€ť
Luscious Lip Dos & Do nots
- Do go with pink: â€śItâ€™s feminine, elegant, and romantic,â€ť says Andrew. And every bride out there, from the most natural to the most glamorous, has a â€śperfect pink.â€ť (It photographs well, too.)
- Donâ€™t choose a darker color if you have small lips. Brighter shades make for a fuller-looking pout.
- Do get the products from your makeup artist so you can touch up throughout the day.
- Donâ€™t be daring! Youâ€™ll be looking at these photographs for a long time.
- Do keep it simple. Your hubby-to-be wants to kiss you, not your lipstick.
Products for the Perfect Pout:
- La Bella Donna lip shine in â€śPlum;â€ť $20 at Urban Nirvana
- Powder brush by Fresh; $58.50 at Stella Nova
- La Bella Donna Naturale Therapy liner in â€śRed Brown;â€ť $20 at Urban Nirvana
- Trish McEvoy Glaze Lip Color in â€śPretty Pink;â€ť $21 at Saks Fifth Avenue
- Bella Il Fiore lip gloss in â€śStarlet;â€ť $15 at Urban Nirvana
- MAC Tinted Lip Conditioner Stick SPF 15; $14 at Saks Fifth Avenue
- Trish McEvoy Flawless Lip; $22 at Saks Fifth Avenue
- NARS Lip Pencil in â€śVelvet Matte;â€ť $19 at Stella Nova
- Trish McEvoy â€śSexyâ€ť shimmer gloss; $22 at Saks Fifth Avenue
- MAC Tinted Lip Conditioner; $14.00 at Saks Fifth Avenue
Photographs by Shannon Cunningham and Courtney Jo Schoenbaechler