Reindeer Run 2009
Saturday was soggy and soupy, not ideal weather for the 19th annual Reindeer Run, a family friendly, costumes-encouraged 5K race; however, a little precipitation was no match for Charleston's hardiest running revelers. Much to my surprise, scores of participants had crowded the block surrounding Southend Brewery (Queen and East Bay Streets) a full 30 minutes prior to the race's 9 a.m. start time. Although the fuzzy antlers were waterlogged, spirits were high. Racers even withstood a delay of race that coincided with a sudden downpour—no grinches on this morning! Of the funds raised by this year's Reindeer Run, 80% will benefit the MUSC Children’s Hospital, while the remaining 20% will be donated to the Charitable Society of Charleston’s endowment.