White Gazpacho from Caviar and Bananas
This soup may be made up to 24 hours in advance and refrigerated. Garnish when ready to serve.
- 3/4 cup plus 1/8 cup blanched almonds
- 3.5 cups water
- 2 small cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 oz. sherry wine vinegar
- 1 cup plus 1 1/2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 slices (3-4 oz.) rustic-style bread (such as ciabatta, French baguette, or sourdough), crust removed
- 1/2 cup seedless white grapes
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup crème fraiche
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh chives
Soak the almonds in 2 3/4 cups of the water for four hours.
In a small pot, bring the remaining water to a boil and add the garlic. Cook for approximately one minute and drain, reserving the garlic. Cool the garlic.
Working in two batches, place half of the almonds, their soaking liquid, garlic, sherry wine vinegar, half cup olive oil, bread, and grapes in a blender and purée until very smooth. Remove and add the other half of the ingredients. Purée until very smooth. Add the dill and crème fraiche and pulse to incorporate. Strain both portions through a fine mesh strainer into a clean pitcher or soup tureen and whisk to combine. Season with the lemon juice and sea salt to taste.
Chill for at least 30 minutes. Garnish with the remaining olive oil and chives.