You are here
A second pie frames another array of flavors. “The spicy Calabrese salami and pickled peppers are a tried-and-true pairing. Quick-pickling the peppers tones down their heat, adds acidity, and makes their texture different too,” Russell says. “Fennel and young peppers are beautiful here in the spring,” he adds. “The fennel has a spiced sweetness that plays off the anise in the salami.”
Rate This Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic confit (see recipe opposite)
- 8 oz. pizza dough (see recipe above)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated provolone
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 6 thin slices salami, preferably Calabrese
- 1/2 cup pickled banana peppers
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fennel
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced Palmetto sweet onion
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup micro mustard or other greens
For the quick-pickled banana peppers (yields 4-6 cups):
- 6 banana peppers, seeds and ribs removed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbs. coriander seeds
- 1 Tbs. black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbs. mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
Place a pizza stone on the lower rack of an oven and preheat to 500°F.
Place roasted red peppers, olive oil, and garlic confit in a food processor and blend until smooth.
Roll or hand toss pizza dough to 12 inches diameter. Using the back of a spoon, spread the roasted red pepper-garlic purée evenly onto the dough, leaving a one-inch margin around the edges.
Sprinkle each of the three cheeses evenly over the sauce. Top with salami, pickled peppers, fennel, and onion. Season with a light sprinkling of salt and pepper.
Bake pizza directly on the stone until the crust is crispy and the cheese is golden brown and bubbly, about seven to 10 minutes. Garnish with the micro greens.
For the quick-pickled banana peppers:
Combine all the ingredients in a nonreactive bowl and stir to combine. Set aside for at least two hours before using. Will keep covered in the refrigerator for up to one week.