Salad of Local Greens with Kohlrabi
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 4-oz. yucca root
- Vinaigrette dressing (see following recipe)
- 48 slices of watermelon radish
- 8 cups fresh greens, washed and drained
- 10 small lemon basil leaves
- 2 cups small diced kohlrabi (a type of cabbage with an edible stem)
- Wheatgrass, for garnish
- 2 Tbs. miso
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. water
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup minced green onions
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
In a heavy pan, heat vegetable oil to 350°F. Thinly slice yucca root and fry until crunchy, about 30 seconds. Set aside.
Pour small amount of vinaigrette on the bottoms of eight four-inch plates. Fan six radish slices out on each.
Place greens and lemon basil leaves in a bowl with the remaining vinaigrette and toss. Divide salad among plates, placing in center of radish circles. Put a few pieces of kohlrabi on each radish slice. Garnish with fried yucca root and wheatgrass.
Mix miso and mustard in bowl. Whisk in water and lemon juice. Stream in oil and whisk. Add ginger and green onions. Season.