You are here
For the meat:
- 20 oz. beef tenderloin, fat and silver skin removed, cut into filets for easier grilling
- 4 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
For the salad:
- 8 cured pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- 5 ribs celery hearts, cut thinly on the bias
- *1 medium zebra heirloom tomato, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- *1 medium brandywine heirloom tomato, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup drained and sliced oil-cured Roman style artichokes (regular canned artichokes may be substituted)
- 1/2 cup seeded and sliced cucumber
- 1/4 cup sliced roasted red peppers
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tbs. finely diced shallot
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 4 Tbs. sherry wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
Rub the filets with olive oil and generously season with salt and pepper. On a hot grill or a hot grill pan, sear the filets on each side, turning them so that they cook evenly. Cook to medium rare, 128 degrees F on a meat thermometer. Remove from heat and let rest for five to 10 minutes before slicing.
Put all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
*Any type of heirloom tomato will work. These varietals were picked for aesthetic reasons only.
Whisk all of the ingredients together.
Slice the meat on the bias (against the grain) and add to the vegetables in the large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Toss with the vinaigrette. May made up to four hours in advance.