Candied-ginger Cornbread Dressing
- 3½ cups yellow, self-rising cornbread
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1½ cups whole milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup fresh ginger, peeled & sliced
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 tsp. butter
- 2 cups sweet onion, diced
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cups celery, sliced thin
- 2 cups dried blueberries
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1 Tbs. fresh sage, minced
- 1 Tbs. fresh parsley, minced
- A batch of buttery cornbread or 2 lb. package seasoned cornbread mix
- 28 oz. chicken stock
- 4 Tbs. butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a nine-by-13-inch glass baking dish. Place all ingredients in a bowl, and whisk until combined. Pour into dish and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until firm to the touch.
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a pot, combine ginger, water, and sugar, and cook on high until water has evaporated and ginger is caramelized. Remove ginger, allow to cool, and dice. In a sauté pan, add four teaspoons of butter, onions, mushrooms, celery, and dried blueberries. Cook for three to four minutes until onions are translucent. Mix all ingredients except melted butter in a large bowl until well combined.
Pour cornbread mix into a nine-by-13-inch glass baking dish and cook uncovered for 30 minutes. Cornbread should be firm to the touch when done. Drizzle with four tablespoons of melted butter.