Go Big or Go Home
It’s football season. Do you know how to host the perfect tailgate party?
written by Kinsey Gidick
Whether you’re watching USC play Vandy this weekend or are a Bulldog hitting the road for the Western Carolina game, it’s an easy bet where a lot of Charlestonians will be this Saturday: tucked next to a tailgate praying for a win. But hosting one of these truck-side fêtes is an art and one that requires planning. To do it right, we asked the ladies of Southern Protocol to give us some tips. Here’s what event planner Lizz Akerman and her team had to share to pull of an elaborate game-day throwdown:
1. Have a theme for your food, like a breakfast/brunch bar with Bloody Marys and mimosas.
2. Serve up Southern comfort fare such as barbecue sliders or Captain Rodney’s Dip, a cheesy bacon concoction that’s to die for. Google it.
3. Come up with a custom cocktail, like “The Mason-Dixon” (Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka, Skyy Citrus Vodka, fresh-brewed tea, fresh-squeezed lemon), and serve it in Mason jars.
4. Décor is everything. For a sporty centerpiece, cut a football lengthwise and poke holes in it, then place flowers in the holes.
5. Quality over quantity—be sure to focus on the little things and do it right.