Scouting Report: Ready to Roll?
These cool rides promise to put a new spin on your summer adventures
1. Artsy: Have a blast customizing Bilda’s “Brewster” men’s beach cruiser, swapping out the color of the aluminum frame, chain guard, wheels, seat, and virtually every other part for a bike that matches your free-wheelin’ style. $200 (base price) at Affordabike
2. Hipster: For the guy or gal who likes to make an entrance, it doesn’t get much better than KHS Bicycles’ “Hot Rod” in “orange crate.” $269 at The Bicycle Shoppe
3. Exclusive: With ergo-grip handles, 26-inch wheels, and an ultra-padded seat, the seven-speed “Navigator 1.0” is built for cycling in comfort. Hop on the saddle and hit the trails! $440 at www.trek.com
4. Basic: Brighten up your ride with the “Cruiser 1” by Electra. In a breezy seaside blue, it just begs for the addition of a cool straw basket. $259 at Mike’s Bikes
5. Splurge: Cerveló calls the S5 the most advanced aerodynamic road bike they’ve ever developed. We’ll expect you to cross the finish line in a blaze of pedaling glory aboard this speed machine. $3,800 at Charleston Bike Company
photographs (5) courtesy of the stores